Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Community


Ahhh community. Is it a buzzword, an idealistic concept, does it even exist? I've been mulling over the issue of community for quite some time now. Recently I've been smacked in the face with the realization that when it comes to community (yes it does exist), I am totally, utterly, and completely spoiled. I fully admit it, and I am extremely humbled by this revelation!

It's only in this most recent stage of my journey that my eyes have been opened to the fact that when it comes to the world as a whole, true community is downright rare! In all honesty, I've found my heart breaking repeatedly over this truth.

So here are just a few of the many questions I've been mulling over these last few days. Feel free to try one on for size. What are the key elements of true community? Are there times that I've taken this gift of community for granted? How do I share some of my community "wealth" with others? What do I give to my community, or how have I been uniquely designed to add to my community? What does God have in mind when He thinks of the concept of community? And lastly, how many times can I say the word "community" in one blog post? :)

Finally, to the many of you in MY community who have so profoundly blessed my life--THANK YOU! You have cared for me, fed me, nursed me back to health, made me laugh, provided a safe place to cry, challenged me to grow, encouraged me to dream, celebrated my joys, sat with me in my sorrows, given me the freedom to be me, encouraged my walk with the Lord, inspired me to give more--and ultimately have forever changed me! In other words, you have made me rich indeed! Thank You!

2 comments:

  1. oooo, how fun!
    okay, off the top of my head, then I'll think about it and be back.
    Elements of true community: committment, authenticity, vulnerability, mutual need meeting, strength to challenge, know each others goal for who they would like to be and encourage growth toward those goals, allowance for differences, and celebration of life.
    Taken for granted?: absolutely! I think perhaps because we were created for it we think it is the standard and therefore the expectation we hold others to
    sharing wealth with others: be and offer the qualities mentioned above to others
    give to my community: I think there is a lot of focus what can I do, what are my giftings. what if the mere fact that we "are" is the point. it isn't what I give you or you give me but we just are in a position in each others lives. presence. who I am is unique therefore by default or perhaps design I bring what is brought.
    What does God have in mind: well that one would have to be unity- a tangible expression and blessing of the relationship He shares in the trinity. That is where the life is, the healing is, the fullness is. He wants that for us.
    how many times can you say community: 11 but it might take repeating it until we get it :)

    This is so fun!! Only you bring to my life you and I am thankful for every bit of time I get to have you! wish obligations weren't so demanding. I bet we could sit on a sandy beach for days on end just wondering. miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sis - you are very rich in community! I love your questions!

    --Sharon

    PS Posting a comment on your blog seems a little strange - usually it pulls up our blog as an option - but here is seems easiest to post as anonymous

    ReplyDelete